Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Obsession


For my birthday The Engineer bought me a screen printing class, he knew that I had been wanting to take one for a while now. On Monday night I headed off to The Make House for my class with Nathan.

I took along a rendition of a Walter Crane illustration that I had done earlier, as well as a length of fabric to hopefully print my image on at the end of class.

So, here is what happened... I fell in love! Oh man, it was like magic. I had a feeling that I would really like the class and the art of screen printing since I have been working with fabric paint and hand cut stencils for quite a while. What I didn't know was that after getting home from the 4 1/2 hour class, I would be unable to sleep for all the ideas that kept leaping into my head and the excitement of possibility!

I loved all of the nuance involved in the process, the anticipation and the results (even the mistakes were fascinating). Nathan our instructor was great, it was obvious he really enjoys what he does and answered all of my questions - I had a lot of questions.

When the class was over I ended up with a couple of paper prints and my fabric print. It was so satisfying to have learned the basics of this art form.


This is something I want to pursue and I look forward to learning more, a lot more. So I have been busy making lists in my sketchbook and figuring out how many of my pennies I need to save up to set myself up with the equipment I need.


My tip for the week is GO! Take a class in something you have been wanting to find out about. Learn something new and have fun.

14 comments:

hellogoodbyedesigns said...

He he! I love screen printing too! So amazing! Like you say even the mistakes are fascinating! Sewing into the material now would be super amazing! xXx

chriswreckage said...

Screenprinting is so much fun! Enjoy your experience!

silverpebble said...

Oh I can sense your excitement - it's leaping off the screen. How utterly thrilling for you. Happy happy New Year!

Ashley cramp said...

Oooh well done you!
Love love love...
what next?
....what' re you going to do with it.....
Bestest daisy j x

june at noon said...

How wonderful! I've always admired screen printing and wanted to try it out. It's one of those things that gets bumped around on the list because sometimes there are just too many things I want to try. But someday.... Enjoy!

Flaming Nora said...

Oh boy oh boy, how exciting. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! I love the feeling when a new and exciting project starts. The possibilities are more or less endless.

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

I've been meaning to take a pottery class - now I need to GO!

Your screen print is beautiful!!!! I can't wait to see more, cause I have a feeling there is going to be a lot more crafty goodness seeping out of you from this class ♥

Christine said...

How wonderful for you, I'm so glad you found something you love and I'm looking forward to seeing where the discovery takes you

Penny said...

Screen printing has always been on my long list of desires. I love what you've done here, beautiful. I would love to have a go at screen printing my own pattern onto fabric, look forward to seeing where your creativity takes you xox Penelope

harmony and rosie said...

Oh yes, what a star that Engineer is. I've also been wanting to do a screen printing course, natural dyes too so yes .. Just GO is absolutely right.
So excited about your email. Reply coming this weekend :)
X

Heather said...

brilliant, must feel great! heather x

Redecórate con Lola Godoy said...

Your blog is very interesting and beautiful. Kisses from Spain.

http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Yes, definitely it is the way forward to take the class and learn the thing that has been tempting us all along.
I love your Walter Crane print and I loved seeing the squares too, over on IG.
Isn't it wonderful to be sleepless because of all the wonderful ideas a-buzzing in your head ?!

Happy days to you and yours, Alex,

xx

Colette said...

Isn't it just so much fun! It's the best feeling to fall in love with a new craft, all those possibilities! Have fun.