Monday, August 23, 2010

Hello Monday - Remake, Remodel

In these last days of summer, there is a sense of impending change. Change in the weather, change in the routine and change in life as we know it. Soon, our little Pony Girl will be entering a whole new phase of her young life...Kindergarten! It's hard to believe that it has come so fast. In keeping my mind away from thinking how quickly she is growing up, I am busying my hands at the task of school clothes making. Sewing for me makes things better, helps me make a little sense of this fast moving world.

This little number was made using Sew Liberated's Woodlands Shirt Pattern, which I have seen popping up all over the place on the web. Cute no? For the fabric I used this lovely lightweight printed linen (that was wonky like crazy to work with). The linen came from a skirt and top that my mother passed onto me thinking I could make something of it. The pieces sat for a long time and when I got this pattern I knew I could finally cut into them for a complete re-fashion.

Some notes on the Woodlands Shirt pattern:
The pattern is fairly easy with straight forward instruction for the most part.
If you plan to use the pattern I highly recommend checking measurements carefully, as it seems to be geared for a more petite child. Pony Girl is 5 with a stocky build, she wears a US size 6 in most store bought clothes with the sleeve length running a bit long. I traced the size 7 from the pattern (for room to grow) but, cut the sleeve and bodice length a size 6 thinking they would be plenty long. I should have checked the length of these pieces before cutting. The end result is that the sleeves and bodice were a bit short for my liking. Overall though, I will make this shirt again with the right lengths, I think it's a quick and versatile pattern for fall. It's pretty darn cute too.

In my last post I mentioned the possibility of pie, so here it is, a perfectly peachy peach pie! Made by the Engineer no less. He offered to take over pie duty after he heard me whinging about how I had done the laundry, dishes, watered the garden, made breakfast muffins...all before he had even gotten out of bed. He makes a damn fine pie I must say!

Oh how I do love pie!

14 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Pony Girl going off to school...She will win the heart of her teacher for sure! She will also be the fashion plate (my grandmother always said) with her loving mom making such pretty new outfits.

Thanks for going into detail about the pattern. My daughter is just starting out with sewing and has been very frustrated with some of the patterns.

The Engineer is quite the baker! That is a good looking pie...I bet it didn't look like that for long.

Have a good week.

Flaming Nora said...

Yet again you make me wish I had a girl! Beautiful fabric. Though it may look good in a rough old linen for a boy, or me.. Humm. Be brave be strong school is not so bad, soon it will be the mid term break!

Colette said...

How adorable, the top and pony girl. My heart goes out to you, my eldest (also 5) goes back to school very soon - I'm already counting the weeks until half term so I can have her back, it's far too young to go to school full time in my eyes - I NEED her with ME!!
Pie looks gorgeous though - always a mood lifter! x

Debby said...

Oh she is adorable. I love that top. I saw another post yesterday that I think used the same pattern. The material was cowboy flannel and I think cordoroy. I loved that one as well.
When my youngest went off to kindergarten....I was a mess. My husband left work and came to get me and drove me out of town for lunch. But on the way home he drove by the school and our son was on the playground and I lost it again. He said I was on my own then. Little did I know that a few years later I would go through this again with my adopted son.
Not so much the starting school thing but just hoping he wouldn't bite anyone at school.

june at noon said...

We are talking about preschool for next year, and I can't believe it. I'm excited for her and know in some ways it will be nice to have a little extra free time, but I know I'll miss her more than all of that! Good luck making the transition, mama!

Also, I am now seriously in need of peach pie.

Катаринка said...

Очень красивая блузка.Теплая,уютная.)))
Катя из Сибири

Vic said...

A cute girl, a pretty shirt, a delicious looking pie... what more could a reader ask for, I ask YOU?!

Wow, kindergarten!!! I don't want to think about that milestone... ever lol, but I know it will be here in the blink of an eye!

Michelle said...

Oh the start of school is so exciting...
Pony Girl will have a wonderful time...
meeting new friends and learning so much...
and she will be so pretty in all her lovely new clothes...
you are a whizz at the sewing dear Lola...
P.S...I love pie too...Yum!!!

mel @ loved handmade said...

That is one very cute shirt & the fabric is gorgeous!!..nice looking pie too, yummo!

crzylady said...

omg he made pie?! *faints* ahh, I am so missing out in the world of decent men folk!

Also, so excited for pony girl.. Aurora is starting on MONDAY. Dear lord. Are you as nervous as I am?

lifeshighway said...

Good luck at school Pony Girl. Tufa try not to cry. The little shirt is very cute but my eye keeps getting drawn to the pie.

Pia K said...

the fabric is fantastic! i'd love me a dress or a skirt in it... but of course pony girl looks great in her new cute shirt:)

and the pie is very pretty too, lucky you, having a pie making engineer by your side!

Mare said...

Our Pony Girl is going to school already!!! She looks absolutely beautiful in her lovely new top! Great work Lola Nova! And that pie is making my mouth water. I swear i can smell it thru the screen!

Katiebee said...

you just make her the cutest clothes! mmmmmm, pie....