Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Beer Rocks!


I mean Bierocks.

From Wikipedia:
Bierocks are meat-filled pocket pastries originating in Eastern Europe, possibly in Germany or Russia, as the dish is very common among the Volga German community in the United States and Argentina. They were brought to the United States in the 1880s by German Russian Mennonite immigrants.

In the U.S., bierocks are found in Kansas, North Dakota, Colorado, Northwest Oklahoma, and the western states of California, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming. The bierock is closely related to the Runza, primarily found in Nebraska.

So now you know

My husband is from a smallish Kansas town with a strong Mennonite presence. I was introduced to these little treats on a trip to Kansas to visit with family. I finally got around to trying them out at home. I used the recipe from here, you have to scroll down a bit. I added 2 tsp. Worcestershire to the filling and be careful to not overcook. Pretty good for my first shot. We like to eat them with ketchup and they do go great with beer!

In Other News

Operation Chicken Coop has been stalled due to rain. So, I turned my obsessions to something else. I am knee deep in a massive overhaul to my work space. I wouldn't call it an 'Extreme Makeover', as my budget is about $25. Still, upheaval and mayhem. The actual making has come full stop until it all gets sorted out. The craftiest thing I have gotten up to lately is a stenciled shirt for Mr. Nova's kick ball season. Their team name is The Angry Dragons.



Oooh, that dragon is so angry!

4 comments:

Fledgling said...

First off, don't be so mad at the chicken. I'm a city girl for sure, but I'm pretty sure chickens have tails. Boy chickens have tails, right? I have a little stapler here that is shaped like a chicken and I would call that thing on the back a tail... Even IF chickens don't have tails, they should, because then chickens would be WAY prettier, just as pretty as your chicken.

But I'd like to see an Easter Slug softie, too. To replace the one left dear Lola by the Easter Bunny (I believe her). And slugs have tails. I think slugs have only tails...

Have a great day,
Nancy

Unknown said...

Those look yummy;, I'll have to try the recipe - although it is easier to buy them at the Breadbasket! Love the shirts!

diane said...

love the angry dragons! and thanks to your post i'm hungry again.

Andrew said...

fireplace ideas
universities in dallas
foundation repair cost
ipod water damage
muebles
one way backlinks
top songs of 2011
kitchen ware
japanese bed
laser hair removal austin tx